The London Friendship Quilters Guild is a non-profit organization whose aims are to promote an appreciation for the art and craftsmanship of patchwork and quilting; provide educational opportunities in the art of quilting; and provide a forum for friendly exchange of ideas and information.
April Meeting and workshop Thread Painting with Kathy Tidswell
April 12, 2018 Meeting Guest Speaker: Cathy Tidswell Thread Painting. Vendor: Kaleidoscope of Quilts Notion of the month: Spring Bonnet - bring one or make one.
Workshop on April 13: Thread Painting with Kathy Tidswell at St. George's Presbyterian Church 1475 Dundas Street London 9 am - 4 pm. Don't forget to bring your lunch. Cost: $40.00 for members $50.00 for non-members Please contact Kim Zwicker to register.
Many aspects of design in landscapes will be discussed including composition, depth, perspective and use of colour. After this, students will learn the basics of free motion embroidery to create landscapes. They will
complete a sampler (seen below) as they learn to make grasses, leaves, flowers, weeds, trees, etc. Some may choose to spend the entire day perfecting free motion stitches but for those who wish, a landscape such as pictured below can be started. Original design is encouraged.
Comprehensive notes are provided.
Darning feet. Kathy's favourite is the 3rd one.
SUPPLY LIST THREAD PAINTING
1. Zigzag sewing machine and its' manual.
2. Darning foot.
3. New machine embroidery needles 75/11 or 90/14 if you are using rayon embroidery
threads. Metallic or metafil needles if you want to use metallic threads.
4. 7 inch to 10 inch slim wooden embroidery hoop. A regular hoop will NOT substitute. It
is too wide to pass under the presser foot. I will have some hoops available for sale that I
bring back from the UK.
5. You will be making samples of weeds, trees , flowers, texture in water etc. so bring
threads in greens (several shades), browns, black, white, yellows, blues etc. If you have
rayon embroidery and metallic threads in these colours, bring them, but it's not necessary to purchase them especially for this class. Instead, bring threads from your stash in these colours.
6. Several squares of muslin or plain light cotton approx. 12 inches square and several
pieces of stabilizer such as tear- away to back your pieces.
7. Scissors, pins, ruler etc. ie normal sewing kit.
8. If you plan to start the 5 inch by 7 inch landscape, you will need small pieces for sky, mountain and water. Some people prefer to spend the time perfecting the sampler. In that case you won’t need this fabric.