Blog Sampler

Monday, July 28, 2008

London's Western Fair is Dropping Home Arts Competitions

Western Fair has decided to drop its Home Arts Competitions due to decreasing participation. Read the Free Press article here.

I confess I haven't been to the Western Fair for 10 years, and it was only last year that I found out that they still had a quilt competition, when it was announced that some of our members had won ribbons. Could it be that the Western Fair isn't doing its job reaching out to the knitters, quilters, crochet clubs? I'd like to know how well do they promote those events? To those who have participated, how did you find out about it? I am a newer member to the guild, did the Western Fair send us entry forms? Were their forms available on their website? Why do you think there are less people entering. Our guild is growing, so it can't be that less people do quilting and crafts; the web is full of craft blogs by all ages!

Cynthia M-R says, "Last year was my 1st year to enter our own local community Western Fair. Do these people not know the demographics of the current ages...wanting persons up to the age of 30? WOW it's not only the environment changing but peoples attitudes towards traditional home grown values.During my conversation with Tina from the Western Fair, she did say that it may be brought back. As a 1st time entry I let her know how disappointed I was...Home Arts phone #519-438-7203 ext 327 maybe a call would at least help express our views on this matter, she already knows how I feel.This will be mentioned at the next LFQG meeting in September."

Barb A adds, "The disappointing aspect for me, is that there are a lot of young people outthere who do like to do Home Arts, (which takes them away from textmessaging!) and this sends a negative message to them that Home Arts are athing of the past - I think we're just getting started with a newgeneration!"

Elaine T weighs in with "Myself I had started this years entry, but when looking at the prize book, I found that there is no home arts at all. The only quilt in the whole thing is a crib quilt that is to be donated to RonaldMcDonald House. I am in the process of making a little crib quilt for the fair. I don't mind donating it, as I am helping with our own Kid's quilts. Yes I was disappointed in Western Fairs decision tonot have quilts in the fair this year. I have put thequilt that I originally started for entry on hold tofinish at a later date."

So there you have it from 3 supporters, if you think the Western Fair should not drop the Home Arts competitions, then write a letter to the editor of the Free Press and contact Tina at the Western Fair and let them know how you feel! You never know how much you miss something until it is gone!

As for me, the reason I don't go to the Western Fair? meh! Waste of money! Too high an entry fee, terrible rides, expensive, not so good food, lots of wasps, smelly animals (and whatever you do, don't step in it!)*, demos on the latest gadgets, did they even have crafts? I don't even remember... I don't think the hubby wanted to look at that part! Taking the crafts away, does not entice me to go, maybe the problem is mixing crafts with midway rides is what is keeping me away! What about you? Please add your comment by clicking on the word comments below

*actually I like the smelly animals!

1 comment:

cozy quilter said...

My family has not gone to the Western Fair every year but my daughter and I have always spent a lot of time in the Home Arts building looking at the quilts and other crafts as well as the giant vegetables. This was my favourite part of the fair! I was considering putting a quilt in the fair this year. I am very disappointed that they have taken away my highlight of the fair.