Members were welcomed to meeting at 7:00 pm by President, Sharon R.
Vendor - Northwind Fabric Studio
Susan D. introduced Nancy Chevalier of Crediton, Ontario. The online business is closing and goods are discounted by 35% this evening. Website www.northwindfabricstudio.ca
Guest Speaker - Robin Bogaert
Kim introduced Robin, a professional long arm quilter, pattern designer and teacher from Waterloo, Ontario. www.quiltingintheloft.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Robin’s creative journey includes:
- Career trained initially as a social worker and diversiﬁed by branching out into quilting as a shop owner in Windsor.
- Through her grandmother’s nurturing and mother’s interest in wearables, she developed her interest in quilting. She sold her ﬁrst large quilt - a Dresden Plate with needle turned appliqué and machine quilting for only $100.
- Quilts in her trunk show classiﬁed as Beginning, Teaching, Published and Just for Fun were shown.
- Lessons learned to share with others:
• You will improve over time
• Let the joy for your work overwhelm perfection
• Share your enthusiasm with youth as they are the future of sewing
• Quilt for fun not just with purpose, it’s always educational
• Every project should involve some learning
• Experiment and play
• Take classes, if you learn one thing it’s worth it
• Challenge yourself to try new things Tip: Use contrasting backing to show off quilting.
Vice President Mary W:
- As the Chair of the Selection Committee, Mary reminded members that election of Executive Ofﬁcers will take place in May. This is a formal process each year as all positions are for a one year period. Candidates are needed for Social Media, Membership and Secretary; however, all positions are open.
Kim Z & Yvonne Y:
- March 21st Mini Retreat - almost full. Donated prizes and a special member demonstration are offered. Unfortunately this was cancelled due to the Coronavirus and government mandates.
- April’s vendor is Grantham Books and guest is Victoria Quilts who make quilts for cancer patients.
We will need to rebook these at a later meeting.
- May is Election night and guest speaker is Darcy from Operation Smile.
- June meeting is a community based dinner, with surprises, held at the Church.
- Teresa Blum provided a 4 patch Fox and Goose pattern for the block challenge. Yvonne Yardy won
Edith W reported four pillowcases were turned in. Kits available for members to take home.
- Bookmarks and posters available for distribution next month.
- Rafﬂe of 3 quilts, 1 ticket: lap size 60” x 80”, baby 36” x 53” and a table runner. Should be ready for May meeting, tickets also available for selling over the summer. All materials donated by Committee. Asking members to drop a loonie or toonie in the jar to raise money for the backings and batting. Jar will be at next meeting.
- Registration form printed copies available and registration is open. Limited space for large quilts (about 50).
- Boutique collections continue. Almost 2 bins of donations collected so about 2/3 of goal for April. Members thanked for donations to date, many beautiful items. Printed instructions available for project ideas.
|Anne - purse|
|Anne - Ostriches|
|Teresa - back of Buzzy Saw quilt|
|Teresa - front of Buzzy Saw quilt|
|Mary - Panel Girl|
|pretty - not sure whose it is...|
|Kristine - heart pillow|